8 Things about Snoring That You Probably Didn’t Know About
Developing a healthy sleeping habit can make a good difference in the overall quality of your life. It’s a fact backed with Science and has been proven after numerous studies and research has been conducted.
Without a single doubt, the quality of your sleep on a regular basis can make or break not just your physical appearance but also your mental and emotional state. If you’re fond of sleeping, you might have already experienced snoring.
Snoring is a common problem yet most of the individuals dealing with it are having a hard time determining on how to stop. There’s no wonder with that because most of us have a little or no knowledge on how and why we snore. Here, we gather the eight things about snoring that you probably didn’t know about.
- Snoring is the result when the air passing through the throat and nose can’t move freely as you inhale and exhale. Thus, it creates a vibrating sound that we know as the snore or snoring.
- You can test or determine the cause of snoring by using three methods which include the open mouth test, tongue test, and nose test. These tests can be done right in the comforts of your own home.
- Sleeping using a comfortable mattress and pillows can also do the trick to help you avoid snoring. According to studies, the quality of your sleep is largely affected by the mattress and pillow that you’re using. In other words, if you’re not snoring before you change your pillows or mattress, you might need to consider to use another set.
- Gaining excess weight can also cause snoring. If you notice that you’ve started snoring as you gain extra weight, then you should start losing a few pounds. The fatty tissue can contribute to snoring.
- Alcoholic beverages and smoking can aggravate your problems with snoring. As a matter of fact, the ingredients found in each and every alcoholic beverages and tobacco or cigarettes can have a huge impact on the severity of your problems with snoring. It is highly advisable to avoid smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages a few hours before you go to sleep.
- Establishing regular sleep patterns can make a good difference. Snoring can also be the result of irregular sleeping patterns. It is good to know that having a defined sleeping pattern can help to control snoring. Plus, the fact that having a good night sleep on a regular basis can provide a good amount of benefits and advantages for you.
- Change your sleep position. Stopping your snoring problem can be as easy as changing your sleep position. If you love to sleep or lay on your back, you might want to practice sleeping on your side. At first, it might not feel comfortable but it’s worth a try.
- There are medical cures or treatments that can aid people who are dealing with intense snoring. These treatments include the somnoplasty, palatal implants, laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP), traditional surgery, and the continuous positive airway pressure.